My October Podcast conversation with Joe Lutomske
I was fortunate to be able to chat with Joe Lutomske about going from engineering to wine making and to winery business consulting. We talk about the basics of how to start a winery, creating the experience, how to be profitable and make sales. We even fit rosé into the discussion.
You can listen to our discussion below.
Highlights from the podcast:
- How I help clients with vineyard development to grow the grapes that work for what wines they want to make.
- My most common thing people say to me when they first call – “I have this dream, I want to start a winery, but I don’t know what to do next.”
- Aspects of the industry a winery owner needs: farming, winemaking, hospitality.
- The importance of creating the experience and the expectation that the winery builds for the consumers. How a consistent experience works to make a successful winery.
- How much wine do you need to make to be profitable and what channels should you sell through.
- How to match the experience you are creating with the wines you are making.
- It’s never too late to re-start your winery to become successful – from winemaking to sales.
- And… we got in a bit about Rosé and our favorite styles.
Learn more about how to start a winery with my post on the importance of a winery vision. To learn more about where you can get supplies for starting your winery on the East Coast and Mid West check out Enotools. If you would like to contact me, please send me an email or fill out a contact form.